Smoked Apples – Big Green Egg
- 6 Firm sweet apples, such as Honey Crisps or Galas
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1/4 cup shortbread or gingersnap crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extra
- 4 whole cinnamon sticks
- 4 marshmallows, halved (optional)
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
Core the apples using an apple corer or melon baller, but don’t cut all the way through the bottom; the idea is to create a cabity for stuffing.
Cream the butter and brown sugar in a medium bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the currants, cookie crumbs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Spoon the mixture into the apples, dividing it evenly among them. Stick a cinnamon stick upright through the filling of each apple and place a marshmallow half on top, cut sides down. Arrange the apples on the Big Green Egg Grilling Rings, or make some of your own with crumpled aluminum foil.
Set up your Big Green Egg and preheat it to 300 degrees F.
Smoke the apples until the sides are squeezably soft, but not collapsing, 60 to 90 minutes. If the marshmallows start to brown too much, tent the apples with foil. Serve the apples hot, with ice cream on the side if desired. Serves 6.